Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Knitting time (or lack thereof)

I feel like I picked a bad time in my life to learn to knit. I just don't have the time, or maybe more accurately the energy, to knit all that much. I have the desire though! But between homeschooling my son, chasing around 2 active little girls, and taking care of home and husband, in my free time I am just pooped! The best time for me to knit is after the young ones are in bed, but by then I am usually just too tired. I think about picking up my knitting, then I choose instead to read or veg in front of the TV for awhile.

I know there will be a time when I can knit more, so for now I'm just going to be content with whatever time I do have to do so. As I've said before, I am certainly enjoying reading about knitting and listening to knitting podcasts - THAT I can do much more than actually knitting! So for now I am learning a lot and dreaming about future knitting projects, and knitting when I can.

We're leaving for a week-long family vacation tomorrow. My Knit Picks order didn't come yet, and even if it comes tomorrow before we leave, I'm not going to bring it along. I don't think this trip will be a good time to start learning to knit socks. Also I don't know that I'll have a lot of knitting time on the trip. I'll just bring Lindsey's scarf and hopefully finish that while we're gone, and start on my socks when we get back.

Our trip involves a 16 hour drive so I do have my iPod loaded up with knitting podcasts for the trip! Yea!

I am also reading Drunk, Divorced & Covered in Cat Hair by Laurie Perry (a/k/a Crazy Aunt Purl) and although I've never been in her situation I am enjoying the book. I hope to finish that before we go.

Good night!

4 comments:

LizzieK8 said...

It's all a matter of priorities. And personally, if one doesn't count oneself as just as important as everyone else in the family....well... I just think one should consider oneself in the family equation.

Cheesehead With Sticks said...

Have a good vacation!

I imagine you will have a lot more time for knitting once it's dark at 4pm and 45 below zero with the windchill in a few months.

Eileen said...

Oh it's not that I don't take time for myself during the day! I do! I take a nap every day for one. :-) I read, I do other things. But it takes energy to knit (for me anyway!) and I'm not a high energy person. When the girls are a bit older and don't zap my energy, I know I will knit a lot more. Being new at it too, I think it's harder for me to just pick up the needles and knit than it would be for a more experienced person. Maybe not but that's the way I perceive it.

NH Knitting Mama said...

Have a great time. Can't wait for a good update!