Saturday, June 7, 2008

Hard times....checking in

Hi knitters, just checking in again. Life has been difficult lately to say the least. My dad passed away on Friday, May 30, and his funeral was this past Tuesday. He had been ill for some time and was in a nursing home, so it wasn't totally unexpected yet we did not expect it just then. It went very fast. My 3 sisters and I were all there with him when he died. We were also all with my mom last July when she died. I never would have thought I would watch both my parents die in less than a year. I'm so thankful I got to be there with both of them though. My mom was 79 and would have been 80 last September, and my dad was also 79 and would have been 80 in November. They were the BEST parents ever and I miss them both so much! I am truly blessed to be their daughter.

I have managed to do a little knitting in the midst of everything, no pics right now though. I'm about 2/3 done with the Icord handle for my messenger bag then that will be done except for felting. I started an iPod cozy, simple garter stitch, which I will also felt. My Sophie bag is also awaiting felting. Ack! I'm about 2/3 done with that. I also on a whim decided I wanted to knit some stuffed animals so I bought the booklet Jean Greenhowe's Knitted Animals. I received that, then ordered some Paton's Astra yarn which hasn't arrived yet. I plan to make both my girls the puppy and I also want to make the frog. I got enough yarn to make all of that. I'm also wanting to start a new pair of socks with my Dyeabolical Neapolitan yarn soon. I just have to roll the yarn into a center pull ball. I think I'm going to try the Jaywalker pattern. I think I will be happiest being a monogamous knitter, so why am I starting all these new projects? :-)

My sweet daughter Lindsey turned 5 last Sunday. The day before we also celebrated the 4th anniversary of the day we first met her in China. Joy in the midst of sorow.



Here's to happier days ahead...

3 comments:

Chris said...

So sorry about your Dad--and your Mom for that matter. I lost my Dad in 2001--he was 77 and it went fast thank God. He was very active right up to the end. I still have my Mom. She will be 83 in Sept. and quite honestly is healthier than I am--just much older--and one never knows. I am grateful to still have her. Thank God you have your kids and your knitting.

L. said...

I'm sorry about your dad Eileen. :( I'm glad you were able to be with him though- and your mom too.
Love the picture of your daughter!!
Hope to see you at a knitting night/afternoon sometime soon! Hopefully a week from Sunday!

LeAnn said...

I am sorry about your dad. One of my best friends just lost her mom last month and her dad is very ill. It's hard to see those you love going through hard times. But I am glad that you can still find joy in the midst of your pain. I love the picture of your daughter - what a sweet little face.